Wednesday, 16 July 2008

How I Came To Know Jesus Personally

I felt cheated after going through those "religious" questionnaire. Then she flashed out a yellow booklet from nowhere and asked me if she could share this booklet with me.

"Okay," I said. But my heart was saying,"Let's get this quickly and done with! And don't try to persuade me to go to church."

Patiently Yvonne in four simple points shared that:
1. God loves us
2. But we "blew" it.
3. However, Jesus died for our sins.
4. And we must receive Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Then she asked me if I would like to accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Out of courtesy, I prayed the prayer to receive Jesus Christ into my life with her. But in my heart, I was fearful and at the same time wanting to have the best of both worlds... another "god" in my life to bless me.

After two weeks, I was invited by Yvonne to watch a film about the life of Jesus in a lecture theater in Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Plainly out of curiosity, I came. After an hour and a half, I was quite intrigued by the teachings of Jesus, and how He stood up for the poor, the oppressed and the helpless. I thought quite highly of Him.

But suddenly, there was the scene when Jesus was being betrayed, and being punished and nailed to the cross. I was so baffled why such a good person has to suffer for the good that He did. People spat at Him, ridiculed Him, and some even mocked Him if He was truly the Son of God, then He should jump down from the cross to prove Himself as the Son of God.

It was that one sentence that Jesus said on the cross that won my heart. He said, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they are doing."

A tear trickled down my cheek. From that point onwards, I wanted to know Jesus. I wanted to know why He would love so incredibly for the people who are so hateful and undeserving of His love.

Thank You Lord Jesus for your amazing love towards mankind, and towards me that I should come to taste your love so strong and sweet.

No comments: